10 Things You Should Never Flush Down a Toilet in Norwalk, CT
While it may seem convenient to flush anything and everything down the toilet, doing so can cause serious plumbing problems. Though our modern plumbing systems in Norwalk, CT have improved greatly over the years, there are still many items that will cause toilet clogs or sewer line backups. Even some so-called “flushable” items are likely to wreak havoc on your plumbing system. Manufacturers often label their products “flushable” because the item will go down the toilet, but just because the item goes down doesn’t mean it won’t cause a toilet clog, sewer backup, or big problems at the sewage treatment center. To reduce your risk of plumbing problems, keep these ten items out of the toilet and teach your children to do the same.
10 Things You Shouldn’t Flush Down the Toilet in Norwalk, CT
- Paper Towels – Unless you’re so lonely, you need a reason to call over a plumber, make sure to have a wastepaper basket available for paper towels. These are just too thick and large for flushing.
- Flushable Wipes – Whether it’s a baby wipe or other “flushable” wipe, it doesn’t belong in the toilet. Cities around the world are spending millions of dollars trying to filter these out of plumbing systems.
- Prophylactics– These can be a huge embarrassment when they pop back up into the bowl and are likely to cause toilet clogs.
- Dental Floss – It’s odd that such a thin little string could cause problems, but the fact is that dental floss isn’t biodegradable and it likes to bunch up creating a clogs.
- Kitty Litter – Designed to clump up when it is moistened, kitty litter is likely to clump up in your plumbing pipes and cause a clog.
- Cigarette Butts – Cigarette butts contain chemicals that end up in the water supply when flushed. Furthermore, they don’t break down as easily as you might think.
- Feminine Hygiene Products – In spite of what these items may say on their boxes, flushing them is not a good idea. Keep a trashcan in every bathroom even if you don’t use these items because a guest in your home might.
- Medication – Animals don’t have prescriptions for medicines but they’ll end up taking yours if you flush pills down the toilet. To keep Norwalk’s water supply clean for everyone, never flush any type of medication down the toilet.
- Cotton Balls & Swabs – These might seem like small items when you flush them one at a time, but they like to bind together inside plumbing pipes, causing ugly clogs.
- Diapers – We know you just want that smelly diaper gone fast, but no, your toilet just can’t handle it.
Keep your toilet functioning well and help Norwalk’s waste treatment facilities do their job by limiting what you flush. Making changes at your home can make a huge impact. For help with toilet problems in Norwalk, CT just give Rick’s Plumbing a call!