As people age, using the bathroom can become more and more difficult. Getting in and out of the tub or on and off the toilet becomes challenging. The risk of slipping and falling looms, creating an oftentimes undiscussed anxiety in the elderly. These people have spent decades taking care of others, and it’s time we take care of them. At Rick’s Plumbing, we work with families to create accessible bathrooms in New Haven that are easier to use. Our plumbers can make bathroom modifications that will take away some of the anxiety that occurs when the once-simple task of using the bathroom becomes a wearisome chore.
Ways to Make Bathrooms Safer for the Elderly in New Haven & Bridgeport, CT
Install a handheld showerhead. Whether the person bathes alone or has someone assisting, handheld showers make it easier to clean all areas of the body without having to move about as much.
- Install a shower seat. Many elders have mobility issues that make it difficult to stand for long in the shower. A shower seat will allow them to bathe comfortably and for a longer period of time if they wish.
- Install a walk-in tub or shower. One of the most common times falls and injuries in the bathroom occur is when a person enters or exits the tub. Walk-in tubs and showers make getting in and out much easier.
- Mount bathroom grab bars. Bracing oneself on a wall while getting up from a toilet or shower seat can be dangerous. Grab bars can be mounted in a variety of areas to help seniors get up or slowly lower themselves down.
- Install a handicap toilet. Elevated toilets can be much easier to get on and off for people with mobility issues. A handicap toilet can help seniors to use the bathroom independently longer.
- Set the water heater temperature to 120° F or lower. As we age our skin gets more sensitive and takes longer to heal. It is also likely to take an older person longer to react if the water temperature becomes uncomfortable or even scalding. By keeping your water heater temperature setting at 120°F or lower, there is more time to react before getting burned.
Don’t wait for the elder in your life to become injured before you take steps to create a safe bathroom. For help designing an accessible bathroom and choosing handicap plumbing fixtures, call Rick’s Plumbing—we’re here to help every step of the way.