These days, you can watch a YouTube video about just any home improvement project. This is great for many homeowners who want to save money or the satisfying feeling of learning a new skill.
However, there are some projects that may be safer left to the professionals. One example is installing a new water heater. It may seem like a simple DIY project, but if installed incorrectly, a water heater can lead to a number of risks or hazards, including:
- Gas leaks
- Ignition problems or even fires
- Extreme water pressure that can damage the tank or cause an explosion
- Faulty venting which can allow toxic combustion gases to enter home
- Water leaks that can damage personal items or the home’s structure
- Scalding due to improper temperature setting
- Legionella bacteria growth
Put that all together, and there’s little room for error when installing a new water heater – which is why we recommend having a licensed professional do the job.
Benefits of using a professional for your water heater
- Permit and correct installation – You can count on a licensed plumber to secure a permit (where required) as well as follow local building codes and manufacturer recommendations. This reduces or eliminates the dangerous scenarios that we mentioned earlier.
- Inspection – If your municipality requires an inspection for a new water heater, you have a better chance of passing it when the unit is professionally installed. Even if an inspection is not required, it could give you peace of mind knowing that an expert looked at the system.
- Correct settings – Plumbers know the ins and outs of the equipment they install. They can make sure all the settings are ideal, and show you how to correctly make adjustments if need be.
- Maintenance – Once the water heater is installed, regular maintenance should be performed to keep it working effectively and efficiently. A licensed plumber can keep the maintenance plan on schedule.
- Maximize water heater service life – Regular maintenance as well as correctly making small repairs can help you get the longest life out of your water heater. The expected service range of a water heater is 12-15 years.
- Warranty – Having your water heater installed and maintained by a licensed plumber can help you stay within the terms of your unit’s warranty. This will come handy (and save you money) if a warrant issue arises with your system.
Professional water heater installation and service
Now that you know that using a professional plumber is the safest and smartest way to have a new water heater installed in your home. Now the question is, who? If you live in the New Haven and Fairfield County area, the name to trust is Rick’s Plumbing. To schedule a water heater installation or service appointment, call us today at (203) 874-6629.