Easy Accessible Bathroom Upgrades for the Elderly and Disabled in New Haven, CT
Having to stand and sit as well as slippery surfaces can make the bathroom unsafe and difficult to use for those with limited motor abilities, such as the elderly or people with physical disabilities. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that each year, more than 700,000 people are hospitalized as a result of a serious fall injury, with head injuries and hip fractures being the most common. Unsurprisingly, many of these falls occur in the bathroom.
It’s easy to make the bathroom a more disabled and elderly-friendly place by making a few simple accessible bathroom upgrades. At Rick’s Plumbing, we can make your bathroom safer and easier to use with our highly reviewed New Haven, CT plumbing services such as accessible plumbing fixture installation. Customer safety and satisfaction are extremely important to us!
Take a look at these simple ways to improve the safety of a bathroom for elderly or disabled family members.
- Increase the height of the toilet Our professional plumbers can replace your existing toilet with a chair height toilet, which has a taller profile of five to seven inches and is easier to use for those that have trouble standing or sitting without assistance.
- Non-slip rugs and mats With their firm grip, slip-proof rubber mats in the shower and outside of it can prevent hazardous slips and falls by making it easier to stand. Non-slip tape is also an option.
- Mount bathroom grab bars and rails For additional leverage and support when sitting and standing, mount grab bars and rails in by the toilet, sink, and in the shower.
- Install lever-faucets and a thermostatic shower valve Twisting and turning a faucet can be difficult for a person with limited motor ability and can make it harder to adjust the water to a safe, comfortable temperature. Lever faucets make this easy to do and help to minimize the risk of burns. Similarly, a thermostatic shower valve prevents the water from reaching an unsafe temperature.
- Walk in bathtubs and showers With a variety of built in safety features such as a handheld showerhead and a built in shower chair that make bathing safer and more comfortable, walk in bathtubs and showers are popular accessible bathroom upgrade.
Don’t wait for a loved one to become injured before making your bathroom accessible. Call Rick’s Plumbing right away for accessible bathroom upgrades in New Haven, CT!